The Virtual School for Children in Care is a cross phased school supporting Children in Care from 4 to 18 years
What is the Role of the Virtual School?
The role of the Virtual School is to keep track on how our pupils are doing and ensure support and processes are in place to help our pupils achieve their best. The school works collaboratively across various departments within Nottingham City Council, external organisations and schools to ensure our pupils receive the best education possible.
Who is Part of the Virtual School?
- All children in care of Nottingham City Council together with their mainstream school
- Children in care from other authorities who are living and attending schools in the Nottingham City area
- Unaccompanied Asylum Seekers
What Support is Available from the Virtual School?
For Schools and Colleges
- the provision of guidance, training and CPD to school staff
- advice to prevent the exclusion of children in care and to develop inclusive policies
- encourage positive links between Designated Teachers, Social Workers and carers
- encourage recognition of achievements made by children in care
- guidance for Designated Teachers to ensure Personal Education Plans (PEPs) are completed and up to date
- attendance at PEP meetings to support new Designated Teachers
- signposting children in care to suitable alternative education provision where required
For Social Care teams
- advice on school provision for individual children in care
- provide training for newly appointed Social Workers
- work with Social Workers to ensure PEPs are completed on time
- identify which children in care would benefit from an Education Progress Grant
For Parents and Carers
- advice and support on educational provision
How can Designated Teachers and Social Workers help The Virtual School's work?
- ensure PEP meetings are held before a PEP becomes out of date. Current templates are listed below. Email the completed PEP to firstname.lastname@example.org
- inform The Virtual School if a child in care is vulnerable to exclusion
- inform The Virtual School when a child in care changes school
- inform The Virtual School if you have concerns of issues regarding any child in care
Events for Designated Teachers
For details of future events and to book places, please contact Paula Harrison telephone: 0115 876 4692 or email: email@example.com
Designated Teachers from schools and academies are welcome to join staff from the Virtual School for networking and advice. Events are held at the Jurys Inn, (corner of Station Street and London Road, Nottingham NG2 3BJ) from 1pm to 4pm (please arrive at 1pm for lunch - session starts at 1:30pm).
The purpose of a Personal Education Plan
This section is currently being reviewed by the Virtual School
Education Progress Grant Guidance and Form
This section is currently being reviewed by the Virtual School.
Please contact the Virtual School should you require advice or support concerning children in care.
Telephone: 0115 876 4692
Get our latest updates delivered to your inbox.
Sign up for Job Alerts, What's On, Latest News and more...